Published on February 08, 2022
Are you enjoying your new Mastercard and taking advantage of all the perks and benefits it offers? Are you using the “tap and go” feature and skipping through checkouts without using the keypad?
Good, we’re happy to hear it. We love the contactless concept, too!
Convenient and secure
We know you need your card to be two things: convenient and secure. Mastercard makes both of these a breeze to provide.
Convenience. This comes in the form of access to millions of merchants.
Secure. The built-in features of Mastercard, including ID Theft Protection, which offers 24/7 assistance is available should you become a victim of identity theft, and Zero Liability Protection, which protects you against any unauthorized purchases on your card if your card is lost or stolen, were designed with the cardholder’s safety in mind.
Tap and go
All of the new features your Mastercard offers might have you wondering about your options. Here’s one: Should I enter my PIN, “tap and go,” or sign for my purchase?
- Tap and go” is the quickest way. But a merchant, or their payment processor, can override that feature. In those cases, you may be asked to insert your card or enter a PIN.
Why would a merchant not allow you to “tap and go” and instead enter a PIN? There are a few reasons. Mostly, it’s because they have older equipment that is not compatible to “tap and go.”
Your PIN is important
If you find yourself having to enter your PIN, be sure that you’ve set a safe and secure number. Here are a few reminders.
- Choose a unique PIN that cannot be easily guessed – avoid the last four digits of your social security number or any variation on your birthday, address, or phone number.
- Do not write your PIN down. Commit it to memory or use a secure password saving app.
- Cover the PIN pad with your other hand when entering your PIN at the checkout counter.
- Be aware at the checkouts and ATMs – if your card does not insert easily into the machine or the card reader appears to be tampered with, reconsider your options. Card “shimmers” and “skimmers” target older equipment that don't support contactless transactions.
- If you feel your PIN has been compromised, use our mobile app any time of day to freeze your card, lower your spending limit, or close the card and order a new one.
Is it safe to sign?
If a merchant asks for a signature instead of just your PIN, that’s fine too. Signature-based transactions are protected by and fully disputable through Mastercard, and frankly, more convenient. PIN-based transactions, if committed by another individual, are harder to dispute as only you should know your PIN.
Whichever way you choose to pay, your Mastercard makes it easy to get the job done
Your benefits are waiting
If you received your Mastercard but have yet to activate it, what are you waiting for? There are so many great benefits, and we want you to take advantage every single one that makes your life easier.
And don’t forget to add your new Mastercard to your digital wallet so you’ll have it with you everywhere you go.
If you have any questions about using your Mastercard, give us a call at 877.243.2528. We’re here to help!.